Tuesday, January 18, 2011

We are in!

Well, we are admitted.  Today is bloodwork, IV heparin, chest x rays and ekgs.  Only took 2 1/2 hours to get a room, so not too bad.  Not a private room but we are working on it. ( I am not above bribery.)  Since Rob and I are germ-a-phobs, we have wiped the room down with bleach wipes.  We are waiting for the cardio-thoracic team to come give us the game plan for tomorrow.  He is scheduled for a TEE (transesophegal echocardiogram) and a cardiac cath, so we will see what the young residents have to say.  I love being at Barnes with all of the "students" (sarcasm here).  The fellow comes in, followed by all of the residents, who all look 12 to me.  I've always said that it looks like a group of penguins.  Luckily this is what Rob is used to so he doesn't mind having 10 people listen to his heart for learning purposes. 

I think that overall, we are both in pretty good spirits.  Yesterday was a hard day, knowing it was our last “home day” for awhile- to steal Kaitlyns phrase.  Obviously, it was hard for him when we dropped Kaitlyn off today, but now that we are here and proceeding, so things are better.  Thanks for all of the encouraging calls, texts, messages, etc.  Sorry that we have not returned them but please know how much we appreciate all of the positive thoughts—it really helps!
            Had a visit from Jerry Hayes, pastor from church today, who helped remind us that we are not in charge.  Time to let go and let God (to borrow the AA phrase).  

3 comments:

  1. Hey Wetzel Family,
    Here's wishing you the very best!! I hope you have a successful surgery and nice and easy recovery! Bless your wife Carrie and daughter Kaitlyn as they wait for you, I know how stressful it can be! Sounds like you all have a lot of great support and people rallying around you so that is nice they won't have to be alone! My hubby had a heart attack at the young age of 38 while I was 6 mos. pregnant with my second child, 2 days before we were closing on a house and moving to a different state. I had a toddler also at the time, so I know what it is like to have to explain grown-up things to little ones and try not to scare them. Take care, be well, and good luck! I will be thinking about you all and praying for you! Sue (Anderson) Inge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking "goodhearted" thoughts for both of you

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you guys!!! <3

    ReplyDelete